Monday, July 30, 2012

"Explore" Artist Statement

"Baby1", 36" x 50", acrylic and latex on canvas, 2005


In 2005, I found out I was going to be a father. Through the next 9 months I had a recurring vision of my son exploring a vast ocean, discovering starfish and other precious items. I  thought of how he would soon have access to the same world that I do. During that time I created a few paintings on this theme, of children and babies finding starfish in large aqua canvases.  

As we move through this world it seems that we all have a wonderful opportunity to explore, despite our age, race, or background. Inspired by my son's constant hunger to see and find more, "EXPLORE" investigates that equal potential. As if the figures are weightlessly floating through the ocean, they all hold this propensity to find the color and form that is around and inside themselves. Each piece contains one letter, whether representational or abstract, which throughout the entire seven piece series spells out EXPLORE.

No comments:

Post a Comment